Saturday, January 6, 2018

Top 5 Favorite Films of 2017



2017 was a bit of a crazy year. Some worldwide craziness mixed with some personal craziness. I haven’t posted much because of all that has happened, but I can say one good thing about last year; We got some great movies!

Usually I share my favorite and least favorite films of the year, but I didn’t see a film I disliked this year. I missed some and ignored other that could have potentially put a bad taste in my mouth. While I don’t have much to look forward to in terms of films in 2018, I’m starting the year on a positive note and share with everyone my top 5 favorite films of 2017. If there is a movie you think should be on this list, I either didn’t see it or I don’t agree with you. Let’s get started!

#5- Star Wars: The Last Jedi-
It may be an imperfect film (like all the Star Wars movies), but it was entertaining and had elements for both adults and children. I enjoyed the deeper look into Kylo Ren and Rei as characters and the resolve with previous characters was also satisfying. It left me satisfied until Episode IX comes out. I was nervous about it after Rogue One (that movie sucks), but The Last Jedi was a step in the right direction and it is my hope that the main storyline ends on a high note and the expanded universe films just end in general.

#4- It-
Yup, I am putting a Horror movie in my top 5. I don’t care if someone gets offended. My biggest issue with most horror movies is the amount of tension; they either have too much or not enough. It has that balance. It had enough tension to keep the scary moments consistent and enough moments of breathing for those scary moments to have the same impact every single time. After the mini series of 1990 for TV, this was a great return to form for Stephen King’s iconic story by focusing on only one element with a sequel coming in 2019… Just please don’t have the same ending. Giant Spiders are not as scary as demon clowns!

#3 Beauty and the Beast-
This caught me off guard… I haven’t like a lot of Disney’s live action films, so a remake of Beauty and the Beast had me sceptical until the day came my wife and I went to see it. From the very beginning I enjoyed it, but found myself loving it more and more as I watched it. It pays homage to the original animated film and adds new elements to not only make it feel fresh again, but also expands the lore and made me love both versions equally. With all other announcements from Disney, it will be awhile until another good Disney Live Action film is released… Seriously? Why Lion King? Is CGI Action a thing yet, but that is what it is going to be. Whatever, at least I have this version to watch and enjoy again and again.

#2- Wonder Woman-
I must confess that I liked both Batman V. Superman and Suicide Squad, even with all the flaws. I’m a DC fanboy, I fully admit it. However, Wonder Woman felt like an apology for how those films turned out. While I haven’t seen Justice League, I have hope that Warner Bros. will let DC comics do there part to tell good stories and have strong action. I loved every moment of Wonder Woman, because it captures the best elements of DC. These heroes don’t fight because they have to, they do it because they want to. They don’t care about personal recognition or fame, they do it because it is the right thing to do. Marvel has mortals being among gods. DC is gods among men. They need to take every note from Wonder Woman and use its structure to make all future films without building up to future films and be there own strong movies. Only one other film has stood stronger for me this year.

#1- Logan-
I did a Facebook Live video about this one, but I was half asleep, mumbling, and just not professional. Logan is my favorite film of the year and my favorite comic book movie for two reasons. 1. This is the best representation of the character in his old age and Hugh Jackman nailed it like he always did. 2. This was a farewell movie to all the old cast of X-Men and I could not be happier about it. I grew up with all the X-Men movies. I even found something to enjoy about the bad ones. After Days of Future Past, I did not expect something better to come from this franchise and then Logan comes along and blows it out of the water in all the best ways. I don’t care that it is an R rated movie. It did everything right in terms of an X-Men movie and I have a heartfelt “Thank You” to Hugh Jackman for bringing this character to the big screen. I know he would likely never read this (I’m just some random guy with a blog), but I have a message for him, and all the original cast of X-Men and everyone involved. The X-Men movies are the only films that strengthened my childhood. Now that I am an adult, these movies have grown up with me. Logan is that final farewell to my childhood and embrace my adulthood. That is what Logan means to me. See it whenever you get the chance, whether edited on TV or on DVD/Blu-Ray. It will not disappoint.

That ended on a somber note! So what were some of your favorite films of 2017. Let me know in the comments or on social media. Here's to 2018 having lackluster movies, great albums coming out, and some long awaited video games finally hitting shelves

1 comment:

  1. BatB did surprise me, but I agree with you. Knowing how you feel about the MCU, I still recommend Thor Ragnarok because I believe you'll enjoy it for the same exception you made for Gaurdians of the Galaxy: it's just plain fun. Great list, great read!

    ReplyDelete