Sunday, March 2, 2014

Movie Review: The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

I did not plan another movie based from the Baroque period, I swear. This was another request.

I'm sure a lot of people know the story of The Count of Monte Cristo. A man who was falsely charged with treason is locked away for 13 years and plans that time, plus another 3 years in preparation, to get revenge on others. It is a deep story on revenge and the consequences of seeking revenge. I haven't read much of the book myself, but it is something a lot of people love. But how did the movie do in my eyes?
For starters, the casting was done well. The actors fit the roles very well. That is something I liked about the movie. The problem I have with it is the second half of the movie. Isn't it supposed to teach how bad revenge is? Then why does he get the woman he loves, his son he just met, and all his wealth in the end? (spoiler alert!) Is that how the book ends? It's not a very believable ending. I was expecting something to teach me how revenge is a bad thing and that you loose what is most important in order to achieve it. There was a Simpson's parody of this story that did that! This movie didn't do that for me. Also some moments of dialogue that should have been serious, but ended up being laughable. That is poor pacing. I enjoyed the first half and was really into the story, but the second half was a fast fall that made me dislike the movie greatly.
I know a lot of people like this movie (my wife is one of them) and that is fine, I don't think any less of people who do. This isn't one of those movies that is terrible beyond all belief (I'll get to those, just wait.) But on a personal level, I didn't like it. I'm thankful I saw it, but I won't be watching it again anytime soon.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for going through with my request. I do, indeed, love this movie, but you take the point that the ending betrays the moral point of revenge being wrong. My defense for that is my sympathy for Edmund in wanting to get his just fruits (because what happened to him was total BS lets be honest) and my contempt for those whom he got revenge upon; be honest: it was satisfying to see them get their's. Even so, the third act DOES tie up too nicely with his plot working perfectly without a plot twist hang-up. Eh, whatever. Martin Harris as the Priest made the movie for me. His spirit lingered on long after his premature death before the midpoint of the film.

    ReplyDelete